Sunday, May 18, 2008

The End is Nigh

I haven't posted for about 2 weeks. I've been quite busy ruminating on the future. After a lot of consideration, I decided not to renew my contract and will be heading back to the US somewhere between the end of July and the middle of August.

There will be another 2 months or so of blog-related hijinks, and then who knows? At this point, my options are wide open. When the end of July hits, I will have money, time, youth, and a complete absence of obligations. It's a strange concept, and this kind of opportunity probably has only existed for a tiny percentage of people in the course of human history. I can go anywhere and do anything. Within 2 months, I could be riding a motorcycle across the Sahara, eating a kangaroo steak in Melbourne, or playing Mah Jong in Shanghai. Insane, isn't it? I realize that at some point I'll have to make some longer-term decisions, but I think I'll roam for a little longer. Most likely I'll take a month or so to do some more traveling and then get cracking on the next phase.

What will the future bring?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Visit South America? If you come after 9/6 (we are spending the summer in PDX) you are more than welcome to stay with us. Your money will go a long way here and I guarantee you will love Buenos Aires. Tons of outdoor stuff in Patagonia not to mention the best beef in the world.

Do a Paul Theroux and get on a bus or train in Portland head south....

Best,
Tom

Nate said...

Whoah man, there's actually a place called Patagonia? I thought it was like, just really sick fleeces.

But seriously, thanks a lot for the offer, I'm going to research it tonight.